Master Scholarships in Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismology (MEEES), Erasmus Mundus
The MEEES programme is an Erasmus Mundus Masters Course, that aims to provide higher-level education in the field of Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismology. Graduate students involved in this Erasmus Mundus Masters course have the possibility of following a 18-month MSc programmes on either Earthquake Engineering or Engineering Seismology. In addition, the proposed EM Masters course envisages also the possibility of students following a 18-month study programme that leads to the attainment of a Masters degree on Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismology.
If following the Engineering Seismology option, students will acquire the ability to design, execute and evaluate assessments of seismic hazard for site-specific engineering projects, for earthquake loss assessments, and for emergency planning scenarios. Students following the Earthquake Engineering option will acquire the ability to undertake seismic design of new structures and the assessment and strengthening of existing structures. The combined option of Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismology will enable students to acquire technical competence in both areas.
The MEEES consortium comprises four academic institutions, namely (i) the Institute for Advanced Study of Pavia (IUSS), (ii) the University of Patras, (iii) the University of Grenoble 1 “Joseph Fourier” and (iv) the Middle East Technical University. It is noted that the first institution runs the postgraduate earthquake engineering programme in Pavia, through the Centre for Post-Graduate Training and Research in Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismology (ROSE School). Hence in subsequent sections of this website, the term ROSE School is employed to refer to the activites of IUSS within the scope of the MEEES consortium.
Students must follow courses and/or carry out dissertation research projects in two of the four following institutions: ROSE School (Pavia, Italy), University of Patras, University of Grenoble 1 “Joseph Fourier”, Middle East Technical University. Different taught modules will correspond to equally varying credits, defined according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), depending on the number of work/study hours (each credit is equivalent to 25 hours of work). A whole semester will be dedicated to the Master’s Project, required for the attainment of the degree and corresponding to a number of 30 credits, which might be a period of research (leading to a traditional Masters dissertation) or a placement in industry (such as a design office, or a risk consultancy).
MEEES graduates will be awarded a Joint Masters degree by the Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori, the University of Patras, the University of Grenoble 1 “Joseph Fourier” and the Middle East Technical University of Ankara. The official language is English. Admission to the course depends mainly on academic qualifications, past professional experience, reference letters and English proficiency.
Three types of scholarships are available within the scope of the MEEES programme:
- Category A Scholarships
- Category B Scholarships
- Consortium Scholarship
The Category A Scholarship is directly sponsored by the European Commission, under the scope of its Eramus Mundus programme, and is available to third-country applicants. In order to qualify as a third-country national, applicants must:
- not be a national from any of the EU Member States: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, the UK, Sweden, Cyprus, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia
- not be a national from any of the EEA-EFTA states: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway
- not be a resident on any of the above countries
- not have carried out their main activities (studies, training, work, etc.) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years (until 28 February 2013) in any of the above countries
It is noted that for the 2014/2015 Academic Year dedicated geografical windows will probably be opended by the European Commission which will allow students to apply for dedicated Category A Scholarships. These windows should be:
- Western Balkans &Turkey window (Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Kosovo – this designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the I?J Opinion on the Kosovo Declaration of Independence as well as Turkey)
- ENPI South window (Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Occupied Palestinian Territory, Syria, Tunisia)
- ENPI East window (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine)
The Category B scholarship, directly sponsored by the European Commission, is open to applicants who are not eligible to the Category A scholarship.
The Consortium scholarship, on the other hand, is funded by the MEEES Consortium and is open to students of any nationality, without exceptions.
To be eligible for a scholarship directly sponsored by the European Commission, i.e. a Category A or a Category B Scholarships, the scholarship holder must study in countries different form the country in which he/she has obtained his/her last university degree. This means e.g. that a student who obtained his/her last degree in Italy is not allowed to study at the ROSE School if he/she is receiving a Category A or a Category B scholarship.
Candidates are informed and agree that if they are selected (proposed for a scholarship, put on the reserve list, or enrolled on a self paying basis) their data may be used for the purposes of evaluating the Erasmus Mundus Programme and will be made available to the EACEA Agency, the EM National Structures, the EU Delegations and the Erasmus Mundus Student and Alumni Associations, acting as stakeholders of the programme.
- Category A scholarship are available to third-country applicants. The deadline for application is the 24th of January 2014 at 12:00 p.m. (midday) CET.
- Category B scholarships are available to European applicants. The deadline for application is the 24th of January 2014 at 12:00 p.m. (midday) CET.
- Consortium scholarships are available to applicants of any nationality. The deadline for application is the 28th of April 2014 at 12:00 p.m. (midday) CET.
For more information, please visit official website: www.meees.org.
272 total views, 2 views today
BAGI ANDA YANG SIBUK BEKERJA, TAPI INGIN KULIAH D3 S1 S2 S3