Master Scholarships in Photonics Engineering, Nanophotonics and Biophotonics (EUROPHOTONICS)
Duration: 2 years
The Master for Photonics Engineering, Nanophotonics and Biophotonics covers one of the most expanding field in physics and material sciences, dealing with the control, manipulation and monitoring of light and its interaction with matter. This master program aims at giving an extensive two-year teaching program from fundamentals to advanced research topics in Photonics and its interdisciplinary applications. Master students benefiting from this program will be able to work on today’s new challenges in their academic or applied research carriers : understanding and control matter and optical phenomena at the ultimate nanometric scale, providing new imaging tools for the most complex biological processes from cells and tissues to clinical applications, bringing original tools in line with future optical devices.
This two years master program (120 ECTS credits) is organized by three groups of institutions : Paul Cézanne Aix-Marseille III University (France), Universität Karlsruhe (TH) / Karlsruhe School of Optics & Photonics (Germany), Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya / Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona / University of Barcelona / ICFO (Institute of Photonic Sciences) (Spain). These institutions are recognized for their high quality training and research centers in the field of Optics and Photonics and their applications, with the unique opportunity to benefit from the presence of excellence and interdisciplinary research institutes, high level advice by professors and administrative staff, as well as local companies and international cooperation networking.
Students selected on the basis of their scientific and English-language levels will follow a first semester of fundamental lectures in optics and its applications in Marseille. The second semester on core subjects will be spent in Kalsruhe. The third specialization semester is proposed as a choice (restricted to conditions based on the marks obtained during the 1st semester) between the three institutions: Marseille (imaging : biophotonics / biomedical optics / astronomy), Karlsruhe (photonic materials and devices / nanobiology / optical engineering), and Barcelona (quantum optics / nanophotonics / optical engineering). The last semester is dedicated to the master thesis and summer school.
This program is dedicated to students with background in Physics or Engineering, who will receive a multiple master diploma awarded from the universities where they spent their semesters. The teaching language is primarily English, although some lectures can be given in the local languages supported by training.
- UNIVERSITY PAUL CEZANNE AIX-MARSEILLE III, France (Co-ordinating institution)
- KARLSRUHE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Germany
- KARLSRUHE SCHOOL OF OPTICS AND PHOTONICS, Germany
- POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY OF CATALONIA, Spain
- AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSITY OF BARCELONA, Spain
- UNIVERSITY OF BARCELONA, Spain
- INSTITUTE OF PHOTONIC SCIENCES, Spain
In order to apply:
- Download the Application form, and fill in all the required fields. To open it, you can use the spreadsheet software of your choice, for instance OpenOffice Calc that can be freely downloaded here for the standard version, or here for a portable version (Windows only). PLEASE SAVE THIS FORM IN THE EXCEL FORMAT : NO PDF. Do not use the recent .xlsx format.
- The application procedure is available at the page http://www.europhotonics.org/emundus/. Go to this page to create your personal account, then follow the instructions that are given by the Application Software. The Application Software will collect all the electronic documents that you have to submit (the list of these documents is given below). You can interrupt the submission at any time and resume the submission later. Note that the maximum size of each uploaded document is 6MB. You can submit the pictures and scanned documents in any common format (JPEG, PDF,…) – PDF format is however strongly preferred.
- You must finish the electronic submission using the “Declaration & Post” menu on the Application Software, otherwise your application will not be validated. When done, you will receive an email with subject “Application form submitted ” and with content: “Congratulation you have successfully posted your application form to the EUROPHOTONICS Erasmus Mundus program.”
Deadline for on-line applications (Master 2012-2014 session):
- For Non-European students : January 23th, 2012
- For European students : January 23th, 2012
“Non european students” are students coming from a country other than an eligible applicant country (i.e. a Member State of the European Union, an EEA-EFTA State – Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein), and who are not residents nor have carried out their main activity (studies, work, etc.) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in one of these countries.
Students from Turkey, the Western Balkan countries – Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia.-, or Switzerland are considered as Non european students.
“European students” are students who do not fill the conditions above.
Students benefiting from a EMMC Erasmus Mundus scholarship get a monthly allowance of:
- Non EU students (Category A) : 1000 €/month
- EU students (Category B) : 500 €/month
- Non-EU student (Category A) : 6000 € / year
- EU student (Category B) : 4000 €/year
These tuition fees are waived for students benefiting from a EMMC Erasmus Mundus scholarship.
These fees cover:
- Travel and installation support (non-EU students)
- Master mobility travel costs
- Tuition fees/registration
- Teaching/training fees
- Summer school participation
Living expenses (typical):
- student room : 210 €/month
- studio : 350-500 €/month
- Food : ~ 350 €/month
- Other expenses : ~ 50-200 €/month
For more information, please visit official website.
47 total views, 2 views today